As the temperatures drop here in Georgia and across the nation, it’s important to be proactive in preparing your auto for winter. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
#1 – Get Your Car Serviced: Try to avoid a potential breakdown by taking your vehicle to the mechanic and have any routine maintenance or tune-ups performed. While there, ask the mechanic to look for the following potential problems:
- Worn hoses, parts, leaks or anything that looks like it needs to be replaced.
- Have your battery checked to verify that it still has sufficient voltage and test the tightness of the cable connections. It takes more power for your battery to work efficiently in the winter. For hybrid and electric vehicles, your driving range is reduced in winter but work more efficiently once warmed up.
- Ask your mechanic to look over your cooling system.
#2 – What You Can Do: Here are a few DIY tips:
- To support the gasoline system in an electric vehicle, always keep it filled with fresh gas.
- Fill your windshield washer reservoir with a “no-freeze” fluid.
- Check your windshield wiper blades for wear and tear, replace them if necessary.
- Check your cars heating system and defrosting system.
- Take a good look at your tires, check them for wear. Tires should have at least 1/16 of an inch of tread on them. Also, check their inflation, when the temperature drops the air pressure in your tires drops.
#3 – Be Prepared: While you can’t think of every possible scenario, follow these guidelines and keep your car stocked in the event you get stranded.
- Carry a small snow shovel, ice scraper, and whisk broom.
- Sand or kitty litter in case you get stuck in the ice or snow.
- Flashlight, flares, jumper cables.
- Spare blankets, hats, and gloves
- Food and water if you’re going on a longer trip.
- Fluorescent tape
We hope these tips will help you prepare your auto for winter and avoid you getting stranded in bad weather. If you would like more information regarding our mat rental program, other services and products we offer, or to schedule a free, no-obligation evaluation – give us a call at 800-939-2523 or contact us online. We are standing by to help you with all your mat rental needs!