Indoor air quality isn’t just tested during the winter months or the spring allergy season. When your business is closed up during the summer to keep the air temperature cool and comfortable, problems with air quality may arise. Here are a few tips to help improve air quality in your business and keep your employees healthy and productive:
1. CHANGE AIR FILTERS – Maintaining your HVAC and keeping air filters clean and clear of debris is an important task to keep the air quality clean. Once air filters get clogged, dirt and allergens will start negatively affecting the quality of air in your business.
2. USE LOW VOC-PAINTS – VOC means volatile organic compounds. Try to use a low concentration of VOC-paints if painting your business to help reduce the pollution of the gasses emitted. Leave windows or doors open and run fans while painting to help reduce the amount of fume build up. If hiring a professional painter, inquire if their paints are low voc-paints.
3. DEHUMIDIFIER – We recommend using a dehumidifier to help reduce excess moisture in your business. This will help reduce asthma attacks triggered by mold, mildew and dust mites. Make sure to keep the dehumidifier clean to help improve its performance.
4. FIX LEAKS – Leaks can lead to moisture and dampness and health issues. Check and fix any leaks around your business to include your heating and cooling units.
5. AIR FILTERING PLANTS – Certain plants can be a great air filter and are an inexpensive and green method of improving indoor air quality. Plants such as the English ivy, aloe, spider plant, and snake plant are very effective at cleaning your air. There are many other kinds of plants that can help purify your air of different allergens and chemicals, so make sure you take the time to research which plants are the best suited for your business. If you are using a plant service, talk to your representative about air filtering plants.
6. KEEP IT CLEAN – Keeping your business, especially the restrooms, clean is a great start to improving indoor air quality. Keeping it clean reduces the buildup of allergens and dirt. For more information on products to help keep your business clean, read here.
We hope these tips will help you improve the air quality in your business this summer. Don’t forget that Pilgrim Mat Services can help you go green with our recyclable mats, restroom products and services. Give us a call at 800-939-2523 for more information or to receive a free, no-obligation estimate. We look forward to hearing from you!