According to the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), 30 million people in the U.S. are exposed to hazardous noises on the job. For more than 25 years, noise-related hearing loss has been listed as one of the most prevalent occupational health issues in the U.S. Since 2004, the Bureau of Labor has reported 125,000 workers have suffered significant, permanent hearing loss due to high workplace noise levels.
Warning signs that your workplace may be too noisy:
1. You hear humming or ringing in your ears when you leave your workplace.
2. You may be arm’s length away from your coworker but you have to shout to be heard.
3. You experience temporary hearing loss when leaving work.
Consequences of a loud workplace:
1. Creates physical and psychological stress.
2. Reduces productivity.
3. Interferes with communication and concentration.
4. Contributes to workplace accidents and injuries by making it challenging to hear warning signals.
5. Greater risk for temporary and permanent hearing loss, resulting in serious repercussions.
OSHA sets legal limits on noise exposure in the workplace and your company should be in compliance. If you suspect your workplace is too noisy and/or you are experiencing any of the above concerns, please see your Manager or Human Resources Department immediately.
At Pilgrim Mat Services, we understand the importance of workplace safety. If you would like more information about reducing slips and falls in the workplace and minimizing risk, please give us a call at 800-939-2523. Let one of our mat rental experts at Pilgrim Mat Services offer the best solutions for your business!